Immigration processes and getting second citizenship from a different country can drain you out. If you are thinking of applying for British citizenship, you have to keep a couple of things in mind.
Other than the important prerequisite that should be fulfilled before the application process gets started, it is also important to know that hiring an expert immigration consultant can help you a lot and will make the entire experience hassle-free and a smooth journey for you.
It is particularly important to be assisted by a professional in your process of applying for citizenship so that the work is done on time.
Factors to keep in mind before you decide to apply for British citizenship:
You do not automatically get British citizenship only because you were born in the UK. It mainly depends upon when you were born and the condition of your parents’ circumstances.
You may be eligible for citizenship if you were born in the UK but are not a citizen of the country.
You must have one of the following:
- Indefinite leave to remain: You can usually apply for ILR after living in the UK for 5 years.
- You have a settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme: You need to have a settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to be able to apply for British Citizenship.
- A permanent residence document to confirm you have permanent residence status: If you or any of your family members belong to any country from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you usually get permanent residence status automatically after living in the UK for 5 years. After having lived for 12 months upon receiving your permanent resident status, only then are you eligible to apply for citizenship.
You also need a permanent residence document that proves you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years – this can be any 5-year period. There is no specification of a particular frame of time but a duration of 5 years is important to be shown.
In simple words, it means that if the 5-year period was more than 12 months ago, you’ll be able to apply for citizenship as soon as you get your permanent residence document.
If you do have any of the above, you are automatically eligible to apply for citizenship immediately without any hassle.
There are 2 ways to apply for British citizenship by naturalization. You can either:
- Make an application yourself:
Read the guidance, check eligibility, fill the form online, make an appointment at UKVACS and either upload copies of your documents in the form or send scanned copies at UKVACS appointment time.
- Use an agent or representative
Hire anyone from a private company or an individual who can guide you through the process and help at all steps saving you from many troubles (it is particularly advised if you do not have any prior information or knowledge and want to start the process as soon as possible.)