The turf of the Merchant Navy is an essential part of the global shipping sector. It is an integral component of any nation’s economic development. As the bulk of the world’s commercial activities are carried out through the sea routes, the field of merchant navy has far more eminence across the globe. Life in the merchant navy can be audacious for all those who desire to travel. The long periods of solitude apart, the opportunity to see the world and get paid while doing so, just cannot be argued with. Merchant navy is an enormous field with lots of cost-effective and job opportunities. You will always get a job, but having a government college to back is always obliging. These institutes have better campus placement records and trust values that won’t let you wait for your first ship or get a job from Off-campus.
The term merchant navy means a fleet of commercial ships that are not used for armed forces purposes. The vessel and the crew of the merchant navy are a part of the country’s business shipping. Merchant navy is a specialized industry that is fully engaged in commercial activities involving the transportation of cargo and passengers through sea routes. The modern shipping industry has come a long way from the ancient days of ships with sails. The current cargo ships are gigantic in size and are outfitted with the latest and highly advanced technology systems.
This invisible industry and its unknown officers play a significant role in the development and progress of the global economy. Merchant navy is a worldwide industry with many nationalities working together on different types of vessels. The sector offers exceptional career opportunities both at sea and onshore. Therefore, it is imperative to join the best college to gain the exact knowledge and skills. To help you choose the best out of best, below are Top 10 Government Marine Colleges to join for Merchant Navy in India –
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Kolkata
- Indian Maritime University, Vizag Campus
- Indian Maritime University, Chennai Campus
- SCI Maritime Training Institute, Mumbai
- College of engineering, Andra university
- R.L. Institute of Nautical Science, Madhurai
- D.R B.R. Ambedkar institute of technology, Port Blair
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Mumbai
- Indian Maritime University, Cochin
- SCI Maritime Training Institute, Kolkata
Merchant Navy is a large-scale industry that provides the best career opportunities on different types of ships and land. Unlike any other field, Merchant Navy offers jobs that require not only specialized knowledge but also the right amount of mental and physical strength.
In Merchant Navy, the salary can range from anywhere between Rs.1.2Lacs to Rs.8Lacs per month, though the pay structure can differ from college to college, company to company, city to city, the export-import needs, and seniority. All crew members and officers are given free meals on board, and senior officers can also take along their wives for the expedition.
Best merchant navy colleges in India – Merchant Navy colleges are based at planned locations in the country and are anticipated to provide training to people who are wishing to join this non-antagonistic economic force. Listed below are some of the top merchant navy institutes in India 2020 are –
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training, Pune
- Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering, Kolkata
- B.P. Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
- TS Rahaman, Mumbai
- Tolani Maritime Institute Samundra Institute of Maritime Studies, Mumbai
- International Maritime Institute, Delhi
- Vels Academy of Maritime Studies, Chennai
- Indian Maritime University, Chennai
- Coimbatore Marine College, Coimbatore