Those individuals who have been involved in a hit and run accident know how brutal and traumatic the incidents can be. If you or your loved one has been injured in a hit and run accident, you may have questions on what will happen next. How will the faulty driver be found? Who will cover the medical bills? In such a situation, you can’t make sound decisions. This is the time an insurance company can take advantage of you by offering you small amount of compensation. The best thing would be to look for an attorney to help you know the legal steps to take. A personal injury attorney can work tirelessly to help you get what you deserve.
Compensation In A Hit and Run Accident?
Hit and run claims have unique legal issues. It’s a crime that deals with the aftermath of an accident. That’s why many victims opt to contact attorneys and law firms in Wasilla Ak when faced with such a situation. The legal issues include civil or criminal consequences for the fault driver and the compensation you should receive. These legal consequences tend to be more severe compared to ordinary car accidents. This is the main reason why victims are advised to seek legal help. Again, hit and run laws vary from state to state. An experienced lawyer can help you learn more about the Alaska hit and run law. After a civil injury lawsuit, you will most likely recover punitive damages. This will enable you to get compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, or pain and suffering you may have gone through after the accident.
What Can A Lawyer Do After A Hit& Run Accident
It’s the responsibility of a driver to pull over after causing an accident. The main aim is:
- To offer assistance and ensure everybody who is injured receives the right medical care.
- To exchange insurance information and the contact information with the other driver
Unfortunately, many drivers ignore the legal requirement thinking they will evade the arm of the law. Some of the reasons why some drivers choose to run away include:
- Driving without a license or if they have one, it could be expired
- Driving without an insurance coverage
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Hit and run charges are very tough. But this depends on the results of the injuries or damages caused to the victim, which could even be a wrongful death. The faulty driver can be charged with a misdemeanor or even felony, which could mean that the driver is jailed for the offense. Additionally, a driver who escapes after being involved in the accident may have his/her license suspended.
Those victims who are not sure of the legal steps to take always look for a lawyer to help them in:
- Prove liability if the driver caught: A driver who runs away after the hit and run accident may be caught. He /she must face some criminal charges, but for this to happen, you must prove liability in the civil case. Proving liability is not an easy thing. You require legal guidance from an experienced lawyer.
- Provide relevant evidence: Your lawyer is the only person who can accurately provide supporting documents. You need to prove that you were involved in a hit and run accident and got injured. The extent of injuries must be evident. This is the time an insurance company may try all ways to make you accept a settlement quickly. But with the help of a skilled lawyer, you can show how the injuries may affect your future.
- Fight for your fair settlement: For many hit and run accidents, the case is settled outside the court. In case of a settlement, your lawyer is the only equipped person to know the tactics or tricks used during the negotiations.
- Represent you in a trial: If your lawyer finds out that settlement is not fair, he/she may take your case to trial. A skilled lawyer has litigation experience and will fight back to see you win.
How To Get The Best Lawyer
Hit and run cases are messy, so you need to look for the best lawyer to help you. Not every lawyer who claims to handle such cases will fight for your rights for fair compensation. Thus, you should ensure to get a lawyer who has dealt with similar cases and won. Again, you need someone whom you can easily relate with. That lawyer who has successfully achieved hundreds of high dollar settlement or verdicts would be the best. If you have been involved in a hit and run accident, look for an experienced lawyer who is willing to work on a contingency basis to help you. This will ensure you concentrate on recovery as you will not be required to pay the upfront fees as you wait for your case to succeed.